Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday mornings...

Today's church service was awesome. I was so excited by it that I want to share it with EVERYONE, which is why I've chosen to post my thoughts on my blog - after all, it's my blog, so I can do that  :)

I love going to church. I love Jesus and I love being surrounded by other people who love Him too. I especially love church when the sermon "speaks" specifically to me - which is always conditional on where I am in my life that week. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but when it does, it FILLS ME UP like nothing else.

Today's sermon was called "What Word?". It ended up turning into basically an in depth Bible study of a passage in the book of John - specifically John 1:1-14. Go ahead and look it up if you have a Bible handy. I'll wait  :)

It's fun to read the gospels because they are so different from one another, depending on who wrote them. We learned some things about the disciple John this morning. For instance, he was writing mostly to the Greeks, because he wanted them to understand about Jesus. According to my pastor, Mark wrote for the Romans, Matthew for the Jews, and Luke was a doctor, so his book is mostly the chronological (because doctors aren't really known to be great writers, lol).

But John wrote mostly for the Greeks, and a little bit for the Jews, so his focus is different from the others. He focuses a lot on "the Word" because "word" was fundamental in their thinking because to them, the "word" was "life". John wanted them to know that the "Word" was the only way to true "Life". He wanted them to know that through Jesus (the "Word"), they would receive "Life".

The disciple John goes on to talk about John the Baptist a little bit in there, but I just LOVED how our pastor broke down the first 14 verses of the book of John. It "means" something to me now, more than just words written in a book by a man. I think I'm going to read the rest of John, and then dive into the other gospels a little more deeply after that. I think each one will offer a unique perspective.

Sunday school was awesome too, but if you haven't read "Crazy Love", my thoughts on that won't make much sense to you (but if you have, I'd love to hear your thoughts on chapter three!). Suffice it to say that there was a whole lot of talk about God's love - his crazy love for us - even though we're so very undeserving. How some of us have "aha" moments where we "get it", and others have always just had that knowledge, so their experiences relating to God are different. How that's ok because all relationships are different, and how sometimes we need a kick in the pants to remember God's love for us  :)

There was also a lot of noticing how when we became parents ourselves, it changed everything we thought we knew about God's love for us.

It has been just a great Sunday so far. Now, if Peyton takes the Colts all the way, that'll be the icing on the cake!!

No comments: