Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Happier Note

Ok, enough with my morbid posts. It's theraputic to get all that out, but I don't want people reading this to think that my life is nothing but depressing cancer. Truly, I am very blessed. I have a wonderful family, amazing friends, and I have better than I deserve, I'm sure.

This weekend was wonderful for us - well.... Saturday didn't start so well after Rick and I got into a fight because he was being a dill-hole (luckily, that doesn't happen often). But, once we got over that, it ended up being a good day.

We were supposed to go to Whitehall, but that didn't happen (see above statement). So instead, the boys and I went to Meijers to get Pull-Ups and diapers (I'm desperate to potty train Logan...) and then we hit Countryside Greenhouse for plants. Us, and about 50 million other people who thought Saturday was a good day to work outside... it was a literal MADHOUSE in there. But, we got *most* of what we needed for our vegetable garden. We have cucumbers, carrots, romaine lettuce, cantaloupe, tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, and watermelon. I still need to get the peas and beans in, but I'm having a hard time finding those.

Then I edged the flower bed on the side of the shed... the grass was invading it. I've got some lavender (YUM!!), some other perennials that I don't know the names of, and then some petunias (gift from Logan, LOL) in there. I just need to finish off the sides with a landscape timber and get the mulch down to finish that one. After Rick got home, we also moved a rosebush and got 2 more in the ground. I can't wait until they bloom. It was a very productive, although physically tiring day.

Sunday, we slept in instead of going to church because the boys had rough nights on Saturday - I'm not sure why, too much sun, maybe?? I was sad to miss church because it was Pastor Rod's last sermon before he moves, but there was no way I was going to take two very grouchy, overtired boys to church. Then after we got up and ready, we went up to Silver Lake. If you don't know us from before kids, you have to understand Rick and I started dating in June. And we spent practically ALL SUMMER at Silver Lake in the sand dunes. It's been the place of some great memories for us. Our friend Ray was camping up there at Jellystone with his son, Nick, so we went to visit for the day. The boys had a great time. We bought fresh fudge, went out to lunch, walked around town a bit, hung out by the campfire, took the kids swimming and to the playground, and even hit the candy store before we headed home. It was so nice. Beautiful weather, people all over the place... summer in Michigan. Saturday night we did some relaxing and then I rode my bike to the store to pick up some stuff... my legs were tired, but in a good way. Oh, and then I spent 2 hours rocking out to my Ipod while I made coleslaw and potato salad, from scratch, for Monday. I'm sure Rick was amused at my off key renditions of such favorites as "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Bohemian Raphsody", "You Can Do It (Put Your Back Into It)", "Semi-Charmed Life", "Billy Jean", and "Bye, Bye, Bye". Yes, I have very varied music tastes, LOL.

Monday was great too! We went out to Terry and Lois' house on Mona Lake in Muskegon. Had a picnic of bbq chicken, cold salads and veggies. The boys spent the day in the water and in the sand, we went for a boat ride to see the amazing Bald Eagle's nest on the next bay over from theirs. Joshua did a little fishing... caught 7 fish in the span of about an hour. I went kayaking for the first time - only a short trip, but enough to get the feel of it. I can see that being a very good upper body workout!! I spent the day in the sun - covered in sunblock, of course - reading and relaxing while keeping an eye on the kidlets. When we got home, Rick, Logan and I all fell asleep for about half an hour. Joshua found that to be very amusing (especially since I fell asleep when I was supposed to be playing Dinosaur Island with him, LOL). Last night, Rick and I re-arranged furniture (which I HATE - it's a stressful experience for me...) and then cleaned the rest of the house. I got almost all the way caught up with laundry and then we passed out. Both boys slept like rocks all night long... and then we didn't wake up until almost 8am this morning!!!

All in all it was a fabulous weekend. We NEVER get nice weather like we did for Memorial Day weekend, so it was certainly a treat!!

Update: I picked up the peas and beans last night while Rick and I were out. And then, I'm retarded and wasn't paying attention and didn't know about the frost advisory last night (I literally didn't watch any tv....) and so I'm the one who didn't go outside and cover up her plants. At all. Not the veggies, not the roses, nothing. And I didn't have a chance to check on them before work this morning. Fingers crossed they survived the night... Oh well... worse case scenario I trek back to the greenhouse and buy new plants. I'm sure the greenhouse knew it was going to be cold last night... Besides, I have a mole who keeps uprooting my plants and a hubby who keeps forgetting to bring home the stuff to get rid of said mole, so I might have some re-planting to do anyways. Asi es la vida - that's life.

No comments: